Due to teaching commitments at The Desert Botanical Gardens and Mesa Community College Capture12 is unable to offer workshops at this time. However, Capture12 is aware that photo enthusiast still need tuition, and is therefore offering One-to-One instruction for those wish to gain creative power over their camera.
The Winter Series: Mastering Photography
New to Capture12 is the Winter Series, a session of workshops dedicated to those of you who have had the C12 experience and want more. We recently sent out a survey and after reviewing the results have created a series of five inexpensive workshops dedicated to helping you move forward on your endeavor to make better photographs. Topics for workshops will range from lighting to Photoshop and utilize handouts and assignments to help achieve your goals. The first, Back to Basics, is set for February 21st and the series will end on March the 14th. Customers will have a choice to buy all five sessions with 10% off for $335 or the à la carte, pick-and-choose option, for $75 per workshop.
- Back to Basics – February 21st 9:30-11:30am: Revisit shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance to get a better grasp on the technical aspects of photography. Knowing these technical aspects will allow you to be creative with your photography.
Composition – February 28th 9:30-11:30am: A 2-hour course to learn how to use the elements of design (rule of thirds and golden mean) to help you to create an image that is intriguing and compelling.
- Lighting – March 7th 9:30-11:30am: A knowledge of lighting is essential to all photography. This workshop will examine light sources and the color of light, beginning with sunlight and shade. We will look at time of day and flash photography. You will also explore how to create the best photographs under various day to day conditions. You will need a laptop with image editing software, off-camera flash and a tripod are recommended, but not required.
- Night Crawl – March 10th 6:30-8:30pm: This is where the rubber meets the road!! On this two hour course, we will take photographs in downtown Phoenix. You will be able to apply what you’ve learned in class, to improve your photos. You’ll be able to ask questions and receive feedback as you’re taking the photos, thereby synthesizing what you’ve learned. Tripod and cable shutter release are recommended, but not required.
- Critique – March 14th 9:30-11:30: Don’t let the name scare you off—this class is designed to let you present your work and receive feedback in a supportive environment. Additionally, you’ll hopefully be inspired and interested by the work of others.
To register for the the series or individual workshops, select from the drop down menu at the top of the ‘Register Here’ form to the left. Your reservation is not finalized until payment is received.
- Be given an introduction to the basics of composition, color theory, and white
- Learn the creative possibilities that comprehensive knowledge of aperture, shutter speed and ISO can offer the user.
- Learn how to maneuver through the different menu functions on your DSLR camera and utilize
them to gain control over your image making.
- Be given studio critiques to help reinforce newly gained technical knowledge of
Required materials and equipment:
- Digital SLR camera that can be controlled manually (aperture, shutter speed, ISO and focus)
- Camera manual
- Flash drive with at least 8gb
- Fully charged battery and if possible a spare battery
- Tripod and cable shutter release (not required but useful)
- Flash (again, not required but useful)
Please note that no unpaid guests are allowed in the workshops. All participants must purchase a seat.
If you wish to cancel a class that has been registered, please do so at least five days prior to the class start date. Workshop capacity is small and demand is high, therefore your reservation is of value to someone else. With regard to the Winter Series, there will be no refund for cancellations after October 12 at midnight.
With regard to á la carte classes, Capture12 is aware that extenuating circumstances sometimes warrant the withdrawal from a class and will do the best to re-schedule, although a $20 cancellation fee will be applied. A re-schedule is only permitted once, and must be done so at time of initial cancellation.
Capture12 reserves the right to cancel a class if the minimum enrollment is not reached.